Crime Prevention / Physical Security Manager
Job Description Summary
The Duke University Police Department Manager, Crime Prevention / Physical Security Manager (PSM) is responsible for planning for physical security, developing and managing institution physical security standards, making recommendations for departments, managing a team that monitors security systems, and collaborating with campus and health system operational departments who install and maintain security systems. The Physical Security Manager will maintain and update the Institutional Security Plan, using the best practice standards. The Physical Security Manager is also responsible for coordinating with various departments to accomplish physical security goals. This may include planning for new construction, scheduled remodels, and retrofits of security technology, such as access control, cameras, emergency phones, etc. This role is responsible for continually assessing and improvement of the security of facilities and people, including the operational considers of access control, camera, etc. The PSM will be confident, collaborative, decisive, influential and innovative manager who can communicate a compelling and comprehensive set of outcomes to be achieved, consistent with organizational goals. The PSM will have the presence and influence to define and enforce high standards for programs and implement and monitor at all levels.
Main Responsibilities and Duties:
* Directs, develops and assists with the implementation of policies, procedures, standards, training and methods for protecting people, property and facilities from criminal activity.
* Manages and/or coordinates services including, but not limited to the monitoring of alarm and duress systems, institutional access control, institutional camera system, etc. Confirms and coordinates operational status of these systems and emergency phones, weapons detection, etc. Analyzes and recommends new security technology as needed.
* Will lead team of staff who monitor security systems 24/7/365. Staff works in the police communications center supporting police and security response. Responsible for the development, mentoring, accountability of staff. Ensure operations are consistent and consistent with industry practices.
* Maintains practicable knowledge of physical security practices applicable to Duke University through such organizations as ASIS, IAHSS and federal guidelines.
* Provides consultation for access control, camera monitoring and related physical security equipment
Drives Management and Process Improvement:
* Provides guidance and consultation to the various departments in identifying, developing, implementing security technologies and operational processes to reduce risks and react to incidents.
* Proactively develop, manages and maintain security related processes, procedures, training, and plans.
*Works collaboratively with partner institutional departments (IT and facilities support) who install, operate and maintain security technologies.
Policy Development, Training and Communication:
* Assist in the development of a well-trained Security Technology Monitoring Team with core competencies necessary to operate security technology systems, make appropriate decisions, work collaboratively with communicators and officers to manage risk, stay ahead of security threats, and to effectively respond to incidents.
* Update and develop physical security operational procedures, such as access control monitoring and response, camera monitoring to supplement patrol, etc.
*Maintain the Institutional Security Plan, updating as needed. Ensure that standards achieve desired goals, meet current standard practices and meet the needs of the institution.
*Conduct security-related training sessions for employees regarding physical security topics to expand their awareness of security standards, policies and procedures. Work with Community Engagement Officers as needed.
* Assist in the development and implementation of various departmental security policies, standards, and procedures to ensure ongoing maintenance of their security programs.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
* Excellent customer interaction skills.
* Strong attention to detail and organizational skills, good writing ability as demonstrated through reports
* Strong problem solving and troubleshooting skills
* Exhibits a strong work ethic and accountability.
* High level of trust and integrity needed; ability to manage high-level, sensitive matters requiring sound judgement and discretion
* Proven leadership/management skills.
* Willingness to learn in a fast-paced environment.
* Strong communication skills.
* Schedule flexibility, with ability to be on call 24X7.
* Candidate must have a proven ability to work independently and be able to follow escalation procedures as outlined in terms of standards regarding critical or emergency situations.
* Minimum of five years of experience in corporate security management and work experience in a broad range of corporate security areas including protection of personnel, risk assessment methodology, physical security and investigations.
* Experience using computer systems and software programs - i.e., MS Word, Excel, MS Outlook and Milestone.
* Exceptional customer service/relationship skills. Recommend solution alternative technical and business approaches, and lead efforts to meet timelines with optimal solutions.
* Experience in development and implementation of security policies and procedures.
*Prefer a bachelor's degree in Criminal justice, Law enforcement, or related field from an accredited institution.
* Certified Protection Professional (CPP), or Physical Security Professional (PSP) certifications preferred.
We need your consent to load the translations
We use a third-party service to translate the website content that may collect data about your activity. Please review the details and accept the service to view the translations.